A masterlist of multiple resources that could be helpful for editors, copy editors, proofreaders, and even writers!
This may come as a shock to some of you, but this isn’t the only copy editing website on the Internet (GASP!). In fact, there are many, many, many, many others, all with pertinent, unique, and helpful information for any prospective or currently working freelance editors. I’ve used many of them myself in the course of my own work, so I thought I’d compile a list of all the resources I’ve found that are relevant to the editing profession. Heck, even writers should find this useful for finding an editor or learning how to self-edit.
I’ll try to keep this list updated as much as possible, so I’ll be reposting it every month!
Last update: May 2017
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Style Guides & Style Sheets
2. Editing Tips & Tricks
4. Different Types of Editing
5. Websites for Editors
6. Websites for Writers Looking for Editors
7. Freelancing Information
8. Stories from Editors
1. STYLE GUIDES & STYLE SHEETS
- AP Stylebook: Ask the Editor
- The Chicago Manual of Style: Q&A
- The Proofreader’s Corner: Show Me the Style Sheet!
- Style Sheets
- Style Sheet: A Conversation With My Copyeditor
- Twelve Common Mistakes of AP Style
- AP Style Quick Reference Guide
- Learning a New Style
- Associated Press Style
- Top 5 Tips to Edit and Write in Chicago or AP Style
- CMS, Novels, and Formal Writing
- Online Stylebooks
- Why Would Anyone Use The Chicago Manual of Style?
- AP Style: The Basics
- AP Style Words That Give Me a Headache
- Associated Press Style: Top 10 List
- Common Errors of AP Style
- APA Style: Key Elements
- 11 AP Style Guide Rules That Are Easy to Mess Up
- Sample Style Guide: Buzzfeed
2. EDITING TIPS & TRICKS
- 10 Simple But Effective Editing Tips
- What Should an Editor Do for a Writer?
- Checklist for Editors
- Why I Would Decline an Edit
- Duties of an Editor & How Editors Help Writers
- Why Does an Author Need an Editor?
- How to [Self] Edit – Level: Extremely Organized
- 10 Tips for Becoming a Better Editor
- On [Self-] Editing
- Trust Me, You Need a Good Editor
- 10 Things Your Freelance Editor Might Not Tell You—But Should
- Headline Capitalization Tool
- Do You Make These 8 Common Writing Mistakes?
- Why Your Brain Lets You Make Grammar Mistakes (Even If You Know Better)
- Capitalizing Titles
- Compounds Ending with a Preposition or Adverb: Open, Hyphenated, or Solid?
- Titles: Quote Marks, Italics, Underlining, or Naked?
- Hyphenated Compounds in Headline-Style Titles (Chicago Style)
- 5 Tips for Fixing “Not Only . . . But Also” Errors
- What’s the Preferred Way to Write the Abbreviation for ‘United States’?
- Rules for Capitalization in Titles of Articles
- Complex Multi-Paragraph Quote Within Quote Dialog
- Top 20 Grammar Errors
- He said, she said – Mechanics of Dialogue
- A.P. Story Screws Up A.P. Style
- The Difference Between “A While” and “Awhile”
- Numbers: Spell Out or Use Numerals?
- Is a Comma Needed to Offset a Title?
- When should I use an em-dash, an en-dash, and a hyphen?
- Grammar 101: American and Canadian Spelling
- Subject Verb Agreement- Agreement with Compound Subjects
- When to Use a Comma with “Too”
- Bulleted Lists
4. DIFFERENT TYPES OF EDITING
- Here’s the Difference Between Line, Copy, and Content Editing
- What Is the Difference Between Developmental & Substantive Editing
- What Exactly Is a Copy Editor?
- The Difference Between Copyediting and Proofreading
- Copyediting and Proofreading For Dummies
5. WEBSITES FOR EDITORS
- The Subversive Copy Editor
- Copyeditors’ Knowledge Base
- Preditors & Editors
- So You Want to Be an Editor
- American Copy Editors Society
6. WEBSITES FOR WRITERS LOOKING FOR EDITORS
- Self Publisher’s Showcase
- NY Book Editors
- Self-Publishing Relief
- Editing for Authors
7. FREELANCING INFORMATION
- How to Ask for Testimonials
- Editorial Freelancers Association
- How to Go From Being a Freelancer to Founder
- Why Is Undercharging a Bad Idea?
- The Art of Freelancing
- Creating PayPal Invoices
- Here’s a Surefire Tax Estimating Process for Freelancers (Rebooted and Updated)
- Tax Advisor to the Self-Employed
- Double Your Freelancing Rate
- Freelance Sample Contract
- Top 6 Free Tools to Start and Grow your Online Business
- How to Earn Residual Income With a Home Based Business
- Why You Should Be Pursuing Anchor Clients, and How to Do It
- An Experienced Freelancer’s Guide to Finding Clients
- 15 Excellent Beginners Guide’s to Social Media Marketing for Small Businesses
- A Completely Subjective Dos and Don’ts Guide to Freelancing
- How to Promote Yourself (Without Being Sleazy)
- A Guide to Utilizing Facebook for a Freelance Career
- 10 Tax Deductions Freelancers Can Make
- How to Raise Your Rates Without Losing Clients (Even if They Say No)
- What You Need to Know to Freelance Full Time
8. STORIES FROM EDITORS
- Holy Writ – Confessions from a Comma Queen
- A Day in the Life of an Editor
- Poking an Editor’s Brain: Kate Foster
- Mary Norris, Copy Editor for New Yorker Magazine, AMA on Reddit
- This Is How You Become an Editor
- 10 Very Costly Typos
- Advice to an Aspiring Copy Editor
- Copyediting and the Power of Word Choices: An Interview with Sara Brady